Uniting Communities Law Centre

Need legal advice but don’t know where to go? Our Law Centre (formerly the Central Community Legal Service) can help. Qualified legal practitioners can provide free legal information, advice, representation, referral and assistance to the community.

Our service supports vulnerable and disadvantaged people who are on low incomes and experiencing disadvantage.

We can provide advice on matters such as:

  • family law
  • minor criminal matters
  • traffic offences
  • consumer complaints
  • tenancy
  • debt
  • neighbourhood disputes
  • employment

We don’t assist with matters related to personal injury, businesses, company law, major criminal offences, or wills and estates.

Our services are provided from offices at Medindie Gardens and in the city. We can assist people in the city, as well as the inner southern, inner northern, eastern and Adelaide Hills and Mt Barker suburbs.

For further information please contact (08) 8342 1800 or Country callers 1300 886 220


Legal Services Commission

Provides legal advice, assistance and referral services if you cannot afford to pay for private legal advice. The legal commission has a central office in Adelaide with offices in metropolitan and regional SA.

Free legal advice is available over the telephone Monday to Friday 9am-4.30pm.

Free 30min appointments for legal advice on most areas of law such as:

Family Law, Criminal Law, Civil Law, Neighbour Disputes, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Debt Matters, Domestic Violence, etc.

The appointments are not means tested and follow up appointments may be available if required. Minor assistance may be provided in certain circumstances when no grant of legal aid is provided. Appointments are available at any office within local opening hours schedule.

Telephone appointments also available.

Other Assistance

- The Adelaide office has specialist social security advisors who can provide help and advice about Centrelink matters

- Child Support Unit for specialised advice on Child Support matters

- Duty Solicitor available at the Most Magistrates Courts and the Youth Court

- Legal aid representation if eligible through a grant of legal aid- application forms available on website or from any office.

- Community Legal Education can be provided. Follow the links on our website at www.lsc.sa.gov.au

- Legal Chat is an online interactive chat information service available via the website. Chat in real time to an adviser for enquiries relating to legal information. Operating Monday – Friday 9.00 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.

- 24 Legal allows you to quickly and conveniently access reliable legal information that’s written in plain-English and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The free service covers more than 60 common legal areas and is especially useful for legal matters that arise outside office hours.

Offices in Adelaide, Elizabeth, Noarlunga, Port Adelaide, Port Augusta and Whyalla.



The South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) is a state tribunal that helps people in South Australia to resolve issues within specific areas of law, either through agreement at a conference, conciliation or mediation, or through a decision of the Tribunal at hearing. SACAT also conducts reviews of Government decisions.

SACAT strives to be accessible and responsive to user needs, and deals with cases in a large range of areas (or jurisdictions). Specifically, SACAT is the place to bring - certain civil law disputes or applications (landlord / tenant relationships), guardianship and administration, mental health and consent to treatment - administrative law disputes or issues, reviews of certain Government decisions (public or community housing decisions, land valuation decisions).

SACAT has a strong emphasis on alternative dispute resolution, using a range of approaches to achieve efficient and fair solutions to disputes and reviews.


Homeless Persons Legal Service

This service can be accessed through Adelaide Legal Outreach Service


Family Relationship Advice Line

A national telephone service established to assist families affected by relationship or separation issues. The Advice Line provides information on family relationship issues and advice on parenting arrangements after separation. The advice line is for anyone affected by the issue. This includes parents, grand parents, children, young people, step-parents or friends.

It can also refer callers to local services that can provide assistance.

The Family Relationship Advice Line (1800 050 321) is available from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday (local time), except national public holidays.

Special arrangements are indicated on the linked website for callers who are deaf or have hearing difficulties.


Access to Justice

A website providing policy, legislation, advice and programs related to alternative dispute resolution, legal assistance, family law and federal courts and tribunals.


Adelaide Legal Outreach Service (ALOS)

ALOS is a free service set up to provide legal advice and support to homeless and disadvantaged persons who need help with legal issues, and who cannot afford a lawyer. The service is free, and anyone with a legal problem is welcome to make an appointment. We offer a confidential, respectful, and supportive service that aims to help our clients to deal with legal problems, small or large. We will take time to listen to what our clients say, explain the law, and help clients to find workable options. Run by the University of Adelaide Law School. The office is staffed by final year law students from the University of Adelaide, and managed by fully qualified supervising solicitors. They also assist clients with managing their own cases, or can refer them to other agencies who have the capacity to handle more complex matters. Such agencies include the Legal Services Commission or JusticeNet SA.

Operates on Fridays out of the Westcare Centre, 11-19 Miller Court, Wright St, Adelaide, see website link for the location.

Contact office between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday or book an appointment through the website.


Outstanding Fines Assistance

If you are experiencing difficulty paying your overdue fines you can apply for a payment arrangement plan assistance. This will give you more time to pay your fines and more options in how you pay.

You can avoid enforcement actions such as suspension of driver's licence or clamping of your car, if you apply for a payment plan using the pdf attached to manage your fines or phone to make an appointment for a face to face meeting to discuss your situation.

There are several ways to pay your fine over an extended period including regular smaller payments via direct debit from Centrepay

You may be asked to provide some details regarding your financial situation to help you find a suitable arrangement.


JusticeNet SA

Facilitates access to justice for the financially disadvantaged by referring them to a network of existing legal service providers and by referring meritorious cases to a safety net of legal firms willing to assist on a pro bono basis. (free or at reduced cost). JusticeNet can also assist charitable and community organisations.

To ensure that pro bono resources are directed to those most in need, eligibility criteria and guidelines to all applications are applied and are unlikely to be able to assist with: - Family law or criminal law matters, except in exceptional circumstances - Complex commercial or building disputes - People who we consider can afford to pay a lawyer, obtain legal aid, or obtain 'no win, no fee' assistance (such as in personal injury claims). Services available include: Pro Bono Referral Service This service can connect you with a pro bono lawyer to provide you with free civil law advice, assistance or representation. Self-Representation Services Free advice and assistance to people representing themselves in the: - Supreme Court and District Court (civil jurisdiction) - Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court (certain areas of the general federal jurisdiction) Refugee and Asylum Seeker Project Specialist referral for individuals who have made a claim for protection under the Refugee Convention.